Outpatient Spine Surgery
Dr. Lali Sekhon, MD
More and more surgery is being performed as an outpatient.
Outpatient surgery has the following benefits:
- Recovery may be quicker as operations are typically performed to minimize pain
- Infection rates may be lower as surgery is not done in a major hospital but rather a surgery center
- The staff get experienced in managing particular kinds of operations
- It may work out cheaper
The types of operations performed as an outpatient include:
- Anterior cervical fusion surgery
- Artificial cervical disc surgery
- Posterior cervical foraminotomies
- Lumbar microdiscetomies and laminectomies
Typically surgery is performed in the morning and patients go home the same day and go home 4-23 hours later. Attention is a little more focused than in a major hospital with lower complications. The actual operating room setup and equipment is the same as a big hospital but the staff/patient ratios are better. Patients with good health are generally only selected for this kind of surgery.